Research Topics> Labor Supply and Marriage Markets
The following publications I have written deal with labor supply and marriage markets.
Studies of labor supply based on models in which husbands possibly pay wives for their work in household production.
- Shoshana Grossbard. The Marriage Motive: A Price Theory of Marriage. Why Marriage Markets Affect Employment, Consumption and Savings. Springer. 2015. (Chapters 4 to 8)
- Shoshana Grossbard and Victoria Vernon, “Common Law Marriage and Male/Female Convergence in Labor Supply and Time Use”, Research in Labor Economics, 2015.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes and Shoshana Grossbard. "Marriage Markets and Women's Labor Force Participation," Review of Economics of the Household 5:249-278, 2007.
- Shoshana Grossbard. "A Theory of Women's Welfare Dependency, Marriage, and Labor Supply," Labour 19:211-241, 2005.
- (edited book) Marriage and the Economy: Theory and Evidence from Advanced Industrial Societies Foreword by Jacob Mincer. New York and Cambridge: Cambridge U Press, 2003. See 2 chapters I wrote: Introduction and Marriage and Work for Pay (with S. Neuman).
- Shoshana Grossbard-Shechtman and Clive W. Granger. "Women's Jobs and Marriage, Baby-Boom versus Baby-Bust," Population, 53: 731-52, September 1998. (in French: Travail des Femmes et Mariage du baby-boom au baby-bust”).
- Shoshana Grossbard-Shechtman and Matthew Neideffer. "Women's Hours of Work and Marriage Market Imbalances," in Economics of the Family and Family Policies, edited by Inga Persson and Christina Jonung, London: Routledge, 1997.
- Shoshana Grossbard-Shechtman On the Economics of Marriage - A Theory of Marriage, Labor and Divorce. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1993.
- Amyra Grossbard-Shechtman. "A Theory of Allocation of Time in Markets for Labor and Marriage," Economic Journal, 94(4): 863-882, December 1984. Explanatory notes
- David M. Heer and Amyra Grossbard-Shechtman. "The Impact of the Female Marriage Squeeze and the Contraceptive Revolution on Sex Roles and the Women's Liberation Movement in the United States, 1960 to 1975," Journal of Marriage and the Family, 43(1): 49-65, 1981.