Papers & Publications (as of July 23 2017)
Publications and Forthcoming Publications since January 2015:
- “Marriage and Marriage Markets” Prepared for inclusion in the Oxford Handbook on the Economics of Women, ed. Susan L. Averett, Laura M. Argys and Saul D. Hoffman. (New York: Oxford University Press. Forthcoming, 2018.)
- Shoshana Grossbard and Victoria Vernon. "Common Law Marriage and Teen Births" J of Family and Economic Issues, March 2017, Volume 38, Issue 1, pp 129–145.
- Should Common-Law-Marriage be abolished in the USA? IZA World of Labor, May 2016. DOI:10.15185/izawol.256.
- "Who decides how much loving care I give you? Neoclassical models of marriage, 1972-2015" in the Routledge Handbook of the History of Women’s Economic Thought, edited by Robert W. Dimand and Kirsten Madden. London, UK: Taylor & Francis Publishing Group. Forthcoming.
- Shoshana Grossbard. "Polygamy and the Regulation of Marriage Markets" in The Polygamy Question, edited by Janet Bennion and Lisa Fishbayn Joffe Utah State University Press/University Press of Colorado, 2016.
- Shoshana Grossbard, The Economics of Marriage, a volume in The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, ISBN: 978 1 78471 024 8, 2016.
- Shoshana Grossbard. The Marriage Motive: A Price Theory of Marriage. Why Marriage Markets Affect Employment, Consumption and Savings. Springer. 2015. Reviews
- Shoshana Grossbard. "Sex Ratios, Polygyny, and the Value of Women in Marriage—a Beckerian Approach", J of Demographic Economics, vol 81 (1), pp13-25, 2015.
- Shoshana Grossbard and Victoria Vernon. "Common Law Marriage and Male/Female Convergence in Labor Supply and Time Use", Research in Labor Economics, Vol. 41 on Gender Convergence in the Labor Market, pp. 143-175, 2015
- Shoshana Grossbard. "How Economists Think About Marriage: Household Division of Labor and Marriage Markets," in Redmount, Esther, ed., The Economics of the Family: How the Household Affects Markets and Economic Growth. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2015.
- Olivia Ekert-Jaffe and Shoshana Grossbard. "Time cost of children as parents' foregone leisure" in Mathematical Population Studies, 22(2): 80-100, April 2015.
- Shoshana Grossbard. Household Economics, in James D. Wright, Editor-in-Chief, International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2d edition, Vol 11. Oxford: Elsevier pp. 224-227, 2015.
Older publications classified by topic:
All publications (with links) classified by topic can be found on the Research Topics Page
- Shoshana Grossbard, The Economics of Marriage, a volume in The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, ISBN: 978 1 78471 024 8, January 2016.
- Shoshana Grossbard, Jacob Mincer: A Pioneer of Modern Labor Economics. New York: Springer, 2006. Includes chapters by Jacob Mincer, Gary Becker and James J Heckman. I wrote the Preface and a chapter on the New Home Economics at Columbia and Chicago.
- Shoshana Grossbard-Shechtman, Marriage and the Economy: Theory and Evidence from Advanced Industrial Societies. Foreword by Jacob Mincer. New York and Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003. Includes 2 chapters I wrote: Introduction, and Marriage and Work for Pay (with S. Neuman). Chinese edition published by Shanghai University Press in 2005.
- Shoshana Grossbard-Shechtman and Christopher Clague, On the Expansion of Economics. Foreword by Jack Hirshleifer. Armonk, N.J.: M.E. Sharpe. 2001. Includes Introduction and Conclusion (with C. Clague).
- Kingsley Davis in association with Amyra Grossbard-Shechtman, Contemporary Marriage: Comparative Perspectives on a Changing Institution. New York: Russell Sage Publications, 1985. Includes 1 chapter I wrote: Marriage Squeezes, Cohabitation, and the Feminist Revolution.